Mozzarella Chicken and Mushroom Bake is a quick and easy supper that can be prepared and frozen ahead of time, and just thawed and baked when you need it. Obviously, the “sauce” that you baste it with would be done last-minute. It can be made as a stuffed chicken breast but since most people find stuffing chicken threatening, I did the no stuff version. It still tastes exactly the same – delicious!!!
You can use other varieties of mushrooms, but the cremini mushrooms have a nice flavor and hold up a bit better when using in a sauce.
- Chicken breasts – 4-6 large and thawed
- Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- Canola oil
- 4 tbsp. butter/margarine
- ½ cup cooking sherry or white wine – your choice
- 1 package Cremini mushrooms chopped
- Fresh mozzarella (or shredded if you do not have fresh sliced)
- Thaw chicken breasts completely prior to preparation.
- In a bowl/dish pour ¾ cup of oil.
- On a flat dinner plate or a baking pan, put bread crumbs. They are already seasoned, but you can add a bit of onion salt or garlic salt, and some grated Parmesan cheese.
- Dip the chicken first in the oil and then in the breadcrumbs and place in a 13 x 9 glass baking pan.
- At this point, you may choose to freeze the chicken for a later date.
- If not, keep going...
- In a small saucepan melt butter/margarine.
- Add cooking sherry/white wine.
- Once this is hot and bubbling a bit, add the mushrooms.
- Baste the chicken with a tiny bit of the sherry/butter sauce, but try to not put any mushrooms yet (as they will overcook).
- Put chicken breasts in the oven.
- When they have been in for about ½ hour, add the rest of the sauce to the pan, ladling some mushrooms and juice over each of the chicken breasts.
- Put back in the oven.
- When there is about 15 minutes remaining and the chicken breasts are golden brown, place a slice of fresh mozzarella on top of each breast and put them back in the oven long enough to allow the cheese to melt completely.
- Serve immediately with your choice of potato or rice and vegetables.
I served this with a nice mushroom risotto. Mmmmmm…..
Thanks Vicki…your Mozzarella Chicken and Mushroom Bake has left me inspired once again! 🙂
Here are a few more of Vicki’s recipe’s you might enjoy.