Not all week’s go according to plan. Nor do weekends. So this weekend when my daughter who was home for the night from college, mentioned very casually Sunday afternoon that she needed a few groceries AND might also need a drive back to school and her apartment…about an hour fifteen away…my plans for the day went a bit awry.
My original plan this week was to do a meal plan based on what I had in my freezer and pantry. I often will pick up some an extra package of meat when it’s on sale, and frequently stock up on some pantry items as well. I feel quite sure I can feed us from here for at least a few weeks…maybe longer…minus the staples. That meal plan will be coming soon. 🙂
When I realized I would be taking a quick Sunday afternoon trip to the grocery store I did a scan of the flyer and decided to pick up a few items. This meal plan is not quite as detailed , but even with only 5 minutes to plan I was able to come up with a weekly meal plan. Once you get in the habit of it, your mind will start to quickly be able to map out your meals.
This week’s meal is from The Atlantic Superstore.
Here’s what we’re having:
Roast Turkey with Mashed Potatoes and Carrots
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic and Ginger Ribs with Baked Potatoes and Corn
Turkey Soup with Homemade Bread
Here’s what I bought:
Old El Paco Taco Dinner Kit- $3.99
No Name Sour Cream- $3.49
Kraft Medium Cheddar Cheese- $3.99
3 lbs Carrots- $1.49
2 Hothouse Tomatoes- $2.06
Grade A Frozen Turkey- $15.11
Pork Side Ribs- $7.48
Green Giant Frozen Corn- $2.99
Here’s what I had:
Onions- Turkey Soup + Pot Pie
Celery- Turkey Soup + Pot Pie
Thyme- Turkey Soup + Pot Pie
Bay Leaf – Turkey Soup
Salt and Pepper
Parsley- Turkey Soup
Garlic- Turkey Soup
Mrs. Dash- Turkey Soup
Rice- Turkey Soup
Frozen Peas- Turkey Pot Pie
Flour- Turkey Pot Pie
Chicken Broth- Turkey Pot Pie
Chicken Bouillon Cube- Turkey Pot Pie
Cream- Turkey Pot Pie
Frozen Pie Crust- Turkey Pot Pie
Dark Brown sugar- Ribs
1 tsp garlic powder- Ribs
1 tsp paprika- Ribs
1/4 cup Honey- Ribs
1 tsp ground ginger or about 1 tbsp of minced fresh- Ribs
2 tbsp Soy Sauce- Ribs
1 tbsp Cornstarch- Ribs
1 tbsp Ketchup- Ribs
I spent $40.60 and with some of those…the cheese and sour cream…lasting for more than this week’s meal plan…with the estimated cost of what I had at home, this week’s meal plan cost around $51.85.
Some notes about this week’s plan:
* When I shopped on Sunday afternoon, they had no ground beef left that was on sale. The price is $2.77/lb and I will buy 2 lbs later this week for a price of $5.44
* After I roast the turkey I will put the carcass right in my slow cooker and make stock overnight. That stock will then be used for Turkey Soup and also for the Turkey Pot Pie. A turkey is a very economical way to feed your family, with several meals coming out of that one purchase.
* When I make the Turkey Pot Pie I often use a frozen Pie Crust.
* The cheese and sour cream will be used for the taco’s and also for the Baked Potatoes we will have with the Ribs.
* My kids love Taco’s, so when ground beef and Taco Kits are on sale, it’s a no-brainer for me. I’ll chop up the fresh tomatoes to top them.
Looking for more meal plan inspiration, check out OrgJunkie’s link up. Have a great week!