While I was at Bob and the Boys Farm Market this week, I picked up some beautiful blueberries and lemons. I just love the taste of lemon zest when it’s added to a blueberries in a recipe…so fresh…and…zesty. 😉 So what could be better than the two combined…in a cake…that you can eat for breakfast!
I also picked up some sunflowers. Bob and the Boys frequently sells fresh-cut seasonal flowers, that I just can’t seem to stop myself from buying. What a beautiful summer flower to have on your table! They bring me a lot of joy.
This cake took no time to mix up and makes a perfect size pan for overnight guests or to invite someone over a for a coffee and cake on the porch.
It’s really nice served fresh out of the oven, but also will keep for a day or two. Blueberries and lemon…tastes like summer.
- ½ cup butter -room temperature
- zest from 1 large lemon
- ¾ cups sugar + 2 Tbsp for sprinkling
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour (set aside ¼ cup of this to toss with the blueberries)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Cream butter with lemon zest and sugar until creamy
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined
- In a small bow toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour
- Whisk together remaining flour, baking powder and salt
- Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk
- Fold in blueberries
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan
- Spread batter into pan
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp sugar over top of batter
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, testing doneness with a toothpick
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving